Thursday, August 12, 2010

Scrapper


I love the Kid Gang Comics of the Golden Age and Joe Simon and Jack Kirby did the best of them. Their second gang was for National Publications (you know them as DC Comics today). They were the Newsboy Legion with their Guardian police officer Jim Harper who was really a costumed crime fighter named the Guardian (ironic,huh?). The boys helped the Guardian clean up the streets of Suicide Slum in between selling newspapers and helping the citizens of their neighborhood.
Above is a drawing I inked over an unfinished pencil sketch by Kirby. I finished it, then inked and colored it. This is one of my favorite pieces of inking The King.

1 comment:

Jay Watson said...

Cool pic of Scapper! I loved this gang too Marc, though I didn't meet 'em till I read Kirby's Fourth World, where they appeared updated (kinda) to the 70's when they appeared as side-kicks to Jimmy Olsen.