Saturday, August 14, 2010

Saturday Morning Greatness

Quisp and Quake, the great commercial stars of 1960's and 1970's Saturday Morning Television.
Created by the Jay Ward Studios (creators of some of the BEST animated series for TV, Rocky and Bullwinkle and George of the Jungle) for Quaker Oats, Bill Scott and his writing staff came up with the concept of an pink colored alien versus a caped construction worker that challenged the kids watching their commercials that their cereal was the best. This gave Quaker Oats the opportunity to introduce two new cereals to the public and then get the kids watching the chance to pick which one they liked best.
The best part of these ads is they had the great humor and puns that made the Jay Ward shows so funny, and also so memorable. Along with Capn' Crunch, Quisp and Quake were the best commercials that interrupted our favorite Saturday Morning Shows.
So who was your favorite - Quisp or Quake?

2 comments:

Jay Watson said...

Great drawing Marc!
I loved Quisp a ton lot more than Quake. Quisp had that Ward/Scott "Gidney & Cloyd" mojo working. He was an alien-- way cooler than a muscle-bound steeplejack. Though this original version of Quake was far preferable to his re-tooled Aussie version.
best,
r/e

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha!! -- I can't believe my old eyes, but there they are...Quisp and Quake! I had all but forgotten them from those most excellent Saturday mornings of my early (age 5) youth! Even better, I now recall sending in the coupon from the Quake box for an "actual" Quake Miner's helmet - complete with working headlamp! Honest, I'm not making this up! It was a yellow hard-plastic helmet with a battery-operated light on the front. And it worked! I recall wearing it at my birthday party; with the LIGHT ON, while my family sang to me...my older brother being mad at my headlight shining in his eyes across the table from me! LOL I didn't realize it at the time, honest..I couldn't figure out why he was so upset! Ha! What great memories! Oh, almost forgot - Quisp was my favorite! Hope you got a kick out of my rant. Peace.