Friday, November 14, 2008

The Three Stooges

Lately I've been watching my old VHS tapes of the Three Stooges. When I got my first VCR many moons ago, the first thing I started taping was the Stooges. Finally I could watch my favorite shows anytime I wanted! My Mother was so pleased, she went from hearing "NYUK! NYUK! NYUK!" and "WOO! WOO! WOO!" after I got home from school to ALL THE TIME!

I love the Stooges! Anytime I want a good laugh, I can pop a tape or a disc in their players and enjoy some classic slapstick humor. I got to see them in 1969 at Kennywood Park with Curly-Joe DeRita. I didn't get to have my picture taken with them, I was just 6 years old and my Mom said that I was laughing so hard that they had to take me to the First Aid Station to give me oxygen.


Pittsburgh has a big history with the Stooges. It was the first place they played in 1959 when they became very popular due to their classic shorts being played on TV. They appeared at the old Holiday House in Monroeville Pa. The Stooges were scheduled to play the club for 2 weeks, but due to over-whelming demand, stayed for 6 weeks!



I've done many sketch's of the Stooges over the years, for myself and for others. Here they are in a classic comical pose, in tuxedos. My favorites of their films are when they are in High Soceity and bringing the Hoi Polloi down to our size. They always seem to end in a great pie fight!


Curly is my favorite of the Stooges. Truly a great comedic talent. During their heyday, Hollywood never really gave the Stooges their due do to the violent nature of their comedies. But they have always had the best accolades of all, the love from their fans.

In recent years Hollywood seems to have accepted the Stooges as the comedic genius' that they are. Twice prime time specials have played on ABC and NBC in the past two decades honoring their work. Marathons of their shorts play on many different cable networks.

Over the years it has been proven time and time again, all the world loves a Stooge! Three of them!



No comments: